Thursday 14 April 2011

Amy Clarkson



"For a while now, I have been fascinated with the idea of photographing the female form with a very voyeuristic approach to the subject matter. I feel as a woman photographer, it is almost expected of me, that I must adopt the female gazeand expel any notion of the male gaze, when photographing women.

My work in this exhibition reflects my rejection of what is expected of me as a woman. I have chosen to photograph women through a male gaze and thus try to highlight the ever growing problematic of representing the body in photography. I hope my photographs to seem voyeuristic, awkward and perhaps even self-conscious at times. I have chosen to work with pinhole photography and alternative processes in the printing of each photograph, which gives each image a sense of uniqueness and personality, rather like that of each of the women that I have photographed. "

No comments:

Post a Comment