Thursday 14 April 2011

Amanda Salter Artist Statement


Vulnerable Spaces
Amanda Salter

Forgotten spaces are often the best spots to feel the true burden of time. I am drawn to these places because of the beauty they still hold; beauty that lies within their decay. These places can be anything that society has left behind or pushed aside. They are vulnerable because they exist on the borderline of the past and the present, which comments on the transience of existence. They possess an eerie beauty and intrigue within the frightening mystery of their destruction. They also hold a truth about people that teaches a lesson on change.
            My work is a documentation of how time and people weather the environment around them. The photos explore human history. They hold the key to growth, change, and abandonment. Within my photos I also hope to bring to life again, even just for a short moment, the spaces that I photograph.  I want the viewer to be able to look at the photo and reconstruct the life of the place, as I often do while exploring these areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment