Wednesday 23 March 2011

Matthew Williams

Artist Statement


"From today, photography is dead. My work is out tochallenge that nearly two centuries later it is far from dead. Photographs have unimaginable power no matter what field they are produced in. It is such power that inspires me to create images that can challenge or portray experiences that life reveals to us.

I have been focusing on landscape and gender bycombining the elements of Landscape and Portraiture photography with inspiration from artists over the last century categorized as the ‘masters of photography’. By working a wide medium format I have created images that explore each individuals relationship with their own landscape."


Along the journey I've been influences from names such as Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, up to Rineke Dijkstra, Hellen van Meene, and Ryan McGinley



No comments:

Post a Comment